Thursday, November 8, 2012

On Violence-tolerance at schools: Letter I wrote to the Superintendent of my school District



I would like to introduce myself.  My name is X.  Our son is new to the school district and is attending his repeated (he was a bit too young the first time) kindergarten class at [elementary school].  We have a newborn son (4 weeks).  So soon we will have two fresh children eager to learn and grow in this community.

The reason I am contacting you is because I have a serious concern with the disregard of violent words or violence-promoting acts at schools, specifically [school].  I have been attending and volunteering in the kindergarten classroom since the beginning of the school year.  I find it incredible how children have already developed words such as "kill," "guns," "attack," and other violent words (they cannot even spell love yet).  Another disturbing regular occurrence is the immediate separation of children into the "good guys" and "bad guys" and their need to create conflict.  In lunch period, kindergartners talk about violent movies and violent games.  In the class room, they draw and present violent toys and art.  Why does this have to be the case?  Why do we allow such acts and speech?

My background has convinced and taught me that violence and suffering in our society starts by our tendencies to create conflict and our utter disregard to the basis of such conflict.  Can you see that perhaps our allowance of violence and conflict at an early stage of schooling can contribute to our society's proclivity towards violence? 

I have addressed this concern with [the principal] and as of now (our second year in kindergarten), I have not noticed any enforcement of any kind.  I would have hoped that this issue would be treated with the seriousness it deserves.  However, I feel that the violent tendencies of our children is not a primary concern to our academically superior district.  It seems as if we rather present society with academically prepared students than to present our community with students who can contribute to our society's woes: our lack of compassion, our willingness to differentiate and separate, and our tendency for violence.

Unfortunately, the consequences of our disregard towards violence has hit home.  The forwarded letter is the story of a situation between my son and another child in kindergarten.  I hope you can review it at your convenience.  You will see that my son was frightened by this child's threat that his father would "crush his skull" if President Obama won.  What kind of society do we live in that allows parents and children speak in these terms?  Even if some details of the conversation would be made up or misconstrued, why would a child be comfortable to threaten another child?  Why is that acceptable?  Why would he be comfortable with the usage of such harsh words?  My son no longer is comfortable at [school] and wishes to leave the school in fear of this parent's potential harm.  Why did it have to go that far?  We, me and our family included, are dropping the ball on this issue.  I for one will no longer stand idle.

Violence is an issue in our schools.  I believe that we can find a solution to ameliorate the problem.  The question to you Mr. X, is whether you believe that a child should be sentenced to fear school in kindergarten?  Should children be allowed to speak violently without any repercussions?  For the sake of our children, our community, and our society, somebody needs to start to do something about it.  I am willing and able to help.  Are you?

Sincerely and with the utmost respect,

X

No comments:

Post a Comment